Advantage xenon lamps may be operated from Tokistar 24 VAC magnetic transformers. The magnetic transformers featured in our catalog are fully dimmable with the appropriate style of dimmer suitable for use with magnetic low-voltage transformers.
Advantage LED modules are for use from our 24 VAC dimmable magnetic transformers. Electronic transformers may not be used.
The primary input to the transformer may be dimmed from industry standard phase-control dimmers, also referred to as triac dimmers. While most show very favorable results, there may be compatibility issues with certain makes and models. The following guidelines should be taken into account in selecting the proper dimming device:
- Make sure the dimmer used is suitable for use with magnetic low-voltage transformers, not electronic low-voltage transformers.
- Some dimmers have a minimum-load requirement. Since LEDs consume so little power, this should be given serious consideration in the selection of the dimmer.
- Some dimmers not only require a minimum load, but may not function properly at certain levels/loads because they do not interpret an LED load as they do a standard incandescent load. In such cases, some dimming companies offer a “synthetic load” device to resolve this issue. Check with the dimmer manufacturer in such cases.
- Tokistar Lighting has evaluated a wide range of dimmers, but cannot promise perfect dimming results with every make and model on the market. Additionally, manufacturers of dimmers occasionally make changes to their specifications without notice.
- If there is any question on compatibility, consult with us on a case-by-case basis. We work closely with many dimming companies, and can provide samples of our fixtures for compatibility testing if necessary.
- Although phase control dimming might be the preferred method based upon site conditions, optimum dimming results are achieved with pulse-width modulation (PWM) devices. In the most critical applications, this option does exist. Advantage may be operated from Tokistar’s LDR24-4A 24 VDC LED Drivers, and we offer PWM dimming devices which are connected to the secondary output of the LED Driver.
LC-1CH-MULTI Dimming System
Tokistar’s LC-1CH-MULTI Dimmer Pack is compatible with industry-standard dimmers working on DMX or 0/1-10VDC protocol. In the manual mode, a preset light level can be set without the use of an external dimmer.
LC Dimming System
This proprietary dimming system provides full-range dimming of LEDs from our LDR24-4A LED Driver. The system components connect with CAT5 cable. Up to 25 dimmer packs may be connected in series if the total length of all CAT5 cable does not exceed 165 feet from the wall dimmer to the last dimmer pack. CAT5 cables are included with units.